Tuesday, January 22, 2008

minute paper 01.22.08

today in class i really enjoyed hearing everyone's
papers, although at first i was quite apprehensive. it
was very interesting to hear what kind of expectations
and imaginative ideas people store in their minds for
the future. I know not everyone wrote their papers
from a realistic point of view, but the ideas were
captivating nonetheless. There were quite a few
reoccuring themes that caught my attention, which i
thought clearly illustrated a commons of the mind. For
instance, hydrogen cars, global warming, and
computerized agents such as robots. Of all the
different types of cars that are possibilities for the
future, hydrogen cars were mentioned at least five
times. It also seemed that the papers were arranged in
order of least change to most change, change meaning
anything from technology to environmental changes. All
in all I took much pleasure in hearing everyone's
stories and the many different scenarios that are
possible for the future.


____________________________________________________________________________________
Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

2 comments:

Stuart Candy said...

Michelle, I wonder if you could say more about the "realistic point of view" you have in mind, as well as whatever the opposite of that is, when it comes to imagining futures.

michelle* said...

I guess by realistic I just meant likley to occur. For example, in my paper I suggested we would have the ability to travel to the center of the earth, and Adam had mentioned the existence of dragons. While these are certainly possibilities for the future, to me they just seem less likely to occur than others. However, your comment did getting me thinking... "realistic point of view" probably wasnt the best choice of words because it implies that one account for the future may be more accurate than others, which i dont believe is the case. I think having an imaginative view for the future can be beneficial and fun because if reminds us that in the future, anything is possible.