Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Andrew's Minute Paper 3/4

One thing I must say that I very much agree with that was mentioned in class was what I consider a better definition of good language: the ability to get your point across. I find this particularly interesting because what is considered "good" writing and what gets the point across best can be entirely different things. One thing I have discovered in my various writing assignments throughout my schooling is that the more interesting approach is almost always the "wrong" approach in writing.
But, as was said in class, teaching of writing is not the focus of the class. It was really amazing to look at how such things in the government and in our normal lives that we might take for granted have a basis unrelated to the modern day. For example, while the electoral system might have made sense once, a case could be made that with the communication and travel options now available, it would possible for people to completely control the system. Another example that stood out was the concept of summer vacation, something likely so normal for most of us that we don't even think about it, even though it is a relic from an agrarian past most of us no longer live.

No comments: