Thursday, January 17, 2008

January 17, 2008- 1st minute paper

Todays class started off with another introductory exercise, which was quite entertaining. Then, we went on to read "Tragedy of the Mental Commons" and "Mental Real Estate." To be honest, I thoroughly enjoyed "Mental Real Estate" better for I found it somewhat enlightening, an interesting prospective on things. The idea that each person, place, or thing, etc, actually takes up, I suppose what would be considered a portion of your memory or thought process, to be able to visualize that in a physical sense, makes you really think about it. Think about the fact that somewhere in your head you have memorized, in some storage space in your memory, stuff like the names of thousands of people or places, and locations of destinations. Whether they be trivial things or urgently important, they're there, possibly taking up space that can no longer be used to store the list of dates you needed to memorize for your history final or something. That only a possibility, if the fact that each person only has a certain amount of brain or memory capacity, happens to be a true...of course. Actually, the instant I realized what the article was saying I recollected the idea of subliminal messages, used in commercials, movies, TV shows, etc, to lure our naive minds into buying (cause for obesity, diabetes, and countless other health problems) fast food, (get tired of it in a month or so) random junk, and other crap. Thus, I was reminded of my favorite book, Night Chills, written by my favorite author, Dean Koontz. So basically I was sitting in class reminiscing on how great and intellectually mind-boggling that novel was and so on. But yeah, class was...great! I'm now going to work on purging my mind of all the trivial things it contains so I can make room for English readings.....

No comments: