Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Minute Paper for February 5, 2008

Okay so honestly I only came to class with like half an hour left so I couldn't exactly dive into the conversation with everyone else. However, i do have comments on the three readings.  First of all, I don't know if it was just me being dense, but i thought the whole horse thing was just a metaphor for the pollution humans have committed themselves to.  of course once I heard the discussion in class I realized it was all just a coincidence.  It was written in such a clever fashion and I hope everyone can see the relation it as today, but instead of horses it would be cars and instead of polluting the street they're causing our ozone to deplete, with possibilities of bringing an extinction to the human race.  And then, the portion in "Our Common Future" about our resources not being enough to sustain the rapidly increasing population reminds me of like ancient civilizations where if they didn't have enough to sustain the whole civilization they'd migrate or rebuild new cities for people that couldn't fit.  Of course, if we did that we'd have to move to an entirely new planet actually, because we've pretty much used and abused this one.  In reference to the Meadows' piece, we should totally have our own Club of Rome integrated into our government, who like meet with the president every month.  Maybe it would really hit people then.  I mean Al Gore's doing a pretty god job and him going on Oprah really helped. I think honestly, I know for a fact, that if you get environmentalists and scientists on Oprah more often word would seriously get out.   I mean thats the women of America, even some men that you've captivated right there.  Seriously, a few times she's put up most wanted ads or whatever on her shows and the next day the guy would be caught.  Oprah is a doorway to the people of America. 

No comments: